The major update process from Shopware 4 to Shopware 5 is very simple and performed just like any other update from Shopware. Please note that this update will bring many changes to your system. For this reason, you should not perform the update directly on your live environment. First off, you should try installing this update on a test environment. We advise you to create a backup before, should you be running into any issues.
The system requirements for Shopware 5 have changed. From now on, PHP version 5.4 and MySQL version 5.5 are required. If you’re using a commercial Shopware version, you will need the Ioncube Loader version 4.6 or higher. We will change these requirements during future releases of Shopware 5. For this reason, we strongly recommend you to update to the most recent stable version of PHP, MySQL and Ioncube. For our new Responsive standard template, we discontinued the support for Internet Explorer < = 8. The old basic template continues to support Internet Explorer version 7 or higher.
We strongly recommend to use the AutoUpdate assistant to perform this update. This way, you can perform a system check beforehand. You will receive an update notification in the backend starting at version 4.3.5/4.3.6.
There are multiple ways to perform this Shopware update. You will find two possible ways in our Release article. You can perform this update starting at version 4.2.x
All installed Plugins must be compatible with Shopware 5. Never update with incompatible Shopware 5 plugins. If you have any of those installed (no matter if deactivated or not), you will have to completely uninstall them before performing the update. Otherwise you won’t be able to reach your Backend (respectively Plugin-Manager) anymore. In this case, you will have to overwrite your files with a previously generated backup and perform the update from scratch. You should check all plugins for their compatibility in our store.
If you want to upgrade to Shopware 5 and want to use the new template, you have to pay attention to a few details. For that reason, we recommend you using a test environment first.
New thumbnail sizes
The new responsive template utilizes new picture sizes in the frontend, to ensure that the picture is always being displayed in the right size. After switching to Shopware 5, you will have to change thumbnail sizes for the albums using the media manager in the backend. Please ensure that you delete the old sizes in this process. (right mouse button on thumbnail size)
Afterwards you should generate new thumbnail sizes. You are able to perform this directly in the media manager. For larger amounts of data, we recommend to use the Shopware CLI tool command sw:thumbnail:generate.
After generating all thumbnails, check the following areas and if needed, change the used thumbnail size.
- Item exports
- Email templates (replace $details.image.src.1 with $details.image.src.0)
- Documents (e.g. bills)
Additional text on variants
In Shopware 4, additional text on variants (e.g. XL, green) would always be and filled into it’s field while generating the variant. In Shopware 5, the field remains empty. For this case, Shopware generates additional texts automatically in the frontend while displaying the fitting language. To activate this new function on all items, you should empty the “additionaltext” field in your database. You can use the following SQL-Statement to perform this change:
UPDATE s_articles_details SET `additionaltext` = '';
UPDATE s_article_configurator_templates SET `additionaltext` = '';
Login / Registration
- Street + house numbers have been merged into one field.
- Two additional address fields. (possibility for required fields)
- More configuration options for general fields.
Variants / Configuration
- Standard / select + type: Picture (NEW) (removed table-view)
- Own deep-link for every variant
- Checking stock and active-status + optional suppressions of variants
- Consideration in categories on starting prices
- Automatic generating of additional texts from group and option description
- Definition gross / net surcharge or deduction
Listing and Categories
- The cheapest starting price will always be shown in the listing
- Categories possess a new option “product layout”
- Possibility for Multi-edit (including different filter groups)
- Price filter as slider (price range on individual listings will be automatically splitted into 20 steps)
- Possibility to add thumbnails for color / pattern filters
- Active attributes will be shown as labels, which can be removed separately / completely
- Selection will be performed after pressing the button “Shown products”, where “x” dynamically displays the amount of results
- Central header and footer for E-Mail templates
- Evaluation itemized to device
- Colors and sizes can be customized in detail, ability to use LESS variables
- Simple switching of logos and favicons
- Offcanvas cart instead of using modal window
- Focus search for mobile clients
- Display left category sidebar on category pages
- Display minimal header and footer in checkout
- Infinite Scrolling for category pages
- Zoom factor for item zoom on detail page is completely customizable
Cache + Template-Cache
- Differentiation between Production mode and Development mode
- Approved HTTP-Cache for usage in Product mode
- Cache-Warmer for fast cache building
- Template configuration using the backend
- Customize color, fontface, logo, etc. without any programming knowledge
- Deeper adjustments using LESS & Variables
- Different view for device types
- Fully responsive
- Duplication of shopping worlds
- Insert and delete rows in existing shopping worlds
- Existing shopping worlds can be reused in other shopping worlds
- “Storytelling” for Shopware Professional upwards
- Landing pages customizable depending on device type
- Formerly “Advanced feature” – now integrated into standard
Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Shop pages / forms: limitation for one or more shops
- Shop pages / forms: Structure of SEO-URLs can be individually customized
- Shop pages / forms: Definition of Meta-Data
- SEO general: Page not found – ability to set status code and target
- SEO general: Paginated sites (rel=next & rel=prev)
- SEO general: multiple h1 tags have been replaced by div containers
- SEO general: pictures always contain img-title and alt
- Automatic download, installation and adding a license in one step (possibility to add multiple plugins at once)
- Download of bigger files (e.g. demo data) displaying a status bar
- Notification in backend if licenses are about to expire (displaying date in plugin manager)
- ESD can be deactivated (notification and link in “My account”
- Snippets can be directly translated into every language
- Consumer right settings in basic settings
- Improved performance of category filters
- Support for Chinese and Cyrillic characters
After Update Wizard
- If desired, existing licenses will be directly converted to Shopware 5 licenses
- Subscriptions with less than 3 months of remaining time will be upgraded to a 3 month long trial subscription.